Despite a home loss to Ole Miss, Alabama appeared at No. 4 in the first College Football Playoff Rankings. That was more of a surprise than LSU being No. 2 in the initial poll. Clemson came in at No. 1 with defending national champion Ohio State at No. 3.
Meanwhile, Alabama and LSU prep for their Saturday night showdown in Tuscaloosa. Alabama has won the last four meetings, including a 20-13 overtime victory last season in Baton Rouge. Seven of the last nine games between the two teams have been decided by less than 10 points.
SEC links for Wednesday:
- College Football Playoff committee still high on SEC, says Alex Scarborough of espn.com.
- Alabama high in first College Football Playoff rankings, reports Michael Casagrande of AL.com.
- No. 2 is not a bad place for LSU, writes Ron Higgins of NOLA.com.
- LSU takes first step toward national title but there’s a long way to go, writes Scott Rabalais of The Advocate in Baton Rouge.
- Alabama-LSU games have been decided by narrow margins, reports Ben Jones of the Tuscaloosa News.
- Coker looking forward to Alabama’s game with LSU, reports Montgomery Advertiser.
- This will be Coker’s biggest test, writes Marq Burnett of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.
- Coleman-Garrett rematch could determine Auburn-Texas A&M winner, writes Mike Niziolek of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.
- Big plays a concern for Texas A&M defense, reports Robert Cessna of the Bryan/College Station Eagle.
- Mississippi State used extended week to fine-tune for Missouri game, reports Michael Bonner of the Clarion-Ledger.
- State quickly gets back to work, reports Logan Lowery of the NE Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Burden of perfection doesn’t grate on Missouri defense, reports Tod Palmer of the Kansas City Star.
- Hugh Freeze likes points better than yards, reports Parrish Alford of the NE Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly hoping to fix interception woes, reports Clarion-Ledger.
- Vanderbilt has had costly injuries, reports Adam Sparks of Tennessean.
- Return units of helped Tennessee, reports Patrick Brown of Chattanooga Times Free Press.
- Sophomores driving Tennessee’s train, says Mike Strange of the Knoxville News-Sentinel.
- South Carolina’s defense ready for more high-tempo offense, reports Ben Breiner of The State.
- Harris and Callaway have formed a bond at Florida, reports Robbie Andreu of the Gainesville Sun.