SEC links for Saturday:
- Mississippi State loses receiver Shelby Christy for season, reports Logan Lowery of NE Mississippi Daily Journal.
- Vanderbilt running back Brian Kimbrow escapes injury scare, reports Tennessean.
- Quentin Thomas tears bicep and is gone for season for LSU, reports Glenn Guilbeau of Shreveport Times.
- LSU issues long goodbye on quarterback competition, reports Scott Rabalais of The Advocate.
- Ron Higgins of NOLA.com says Tigers are learning to talk the talk.
- Alabama’s quarterback battle goes sight unseen from fans, writes Marq Burnett of Montgomery Advertiser.
- Alabama puts in final preparations before first scrimmage, reports Andrew Gribble of AL.com.
- Auburn’s veteran running backs are clearly at top of depth chart, reports Ryan Black of Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.
- Tight end use should increase in the SEC, says Edward Aschoff of espn.com.
- Tennessee wants to see energy in its first scrimmage, says Ben Frederickson of Knoxville News-Sentinel.
- Vols not panicking about inconsistency at quarterback, reports Patrick Brown of Chattanooga Times Free Press.
- Transfer in the mix at linebacker for Ole Miss, reports Hugh Kellenberger of Clarion-Ledger.
- Roberts, Taylor turn heads with strong play at Florida, says Robbie Andreu of Gainesville Sun.
- Zero issues with Hargreaves’ knee, reports Edgar Thompson of Orlando Sentinel.
- Georgia moving from installation to game-planning, reports Chip Towers of AJC.
- Marc Weiszer of Athens Banner-Herald writes that Reggie Davis could be home run threat for Bulldogs.
- Torren Jones dismissed from Missouri basketball team, reports Tod Palmer of Kansas City Star.
- Nolan Richardson heads into Naismith Hall of Fame, reports Robbie Neiswanger of Arkansas News.
- Steve Spurrier does the shuffle.
— Belk Bowl (@belkbowl) August 8, 2014
Related link: Latest UK football headlines