Three quick thoughts (plus one) from the introductory press conference for new UK assistant basketball coach Barry Rohrssen.
1. Grateful to be here. At one point, when Rohrssen talked about being here at Kentucky, his eyes got watery. Rohrssen said he came from a single-parent home in New York and that it was a dream come true to make it to this spot.
Rohrssen left a good job at Pittsburgh to come to UK to join his longtime friend John Calipari, who was his roommate at Howard Garfinkel’s Five-Star camp. Calipari had tried to get Rohrssen to come to UK before, and the coach joked that if he didn’t say yes this time, Cal might have stopped asking.
2. Rohrssen got the “Slice” nickname from Garfinkel. The coach said he was not a good shooter, so he had to “navigate” his way to the basket. His slicing ability was what caused Garfinkel to come up with the nickname that stuck.
3. When he was in college, Rohrssen worked the Joe B. Hall Basketball Camp, which made a great impression on him. One thing he remembers is the hand-written letter that Hall sent him.
4. Rohrssen has a reputation for being an entertaining guy and a great recruiter. You could see some of that today, with his self-deprecation and his one-liners as he went back and forth with the media.
- UK basketball to play Georgetown and Pikeville
- Follow John Clay on Twitter
- NBA Draft combine list and projections