Big Blue Links for Monday:
- Kentucky’s women led most of the way but lost to Tennessee 71-70 in the finals of the SEC Women’s Basketball Tournament, reports Jennifer Smith of the Herald-Leader. “Red, puffy eyes and failed attempts at deep breaths between cries filled the UK locker room after the Southeastern Conference title game in which the Cats led by as many as 10 points before falling to No. 6 Tennessee 71-70 on Sunday.”
- Mark Story was in Duluth and writes that while the UK women came up short, it wasn’t from a lack of effort. He says the Cats “clawed and scratched and fought — almost literally.”
- Did some research for my Monday column and found the instances of Kentucky teams stumbling down the stretch then getting it right at tournament time are few and far between.
- Mark Wiedmer of the Chattanooga Times Free Press writes that Kentucky is not the only dream team struggling.
- Guy Ramsey writes that the UK women proved they are a team all over again.
- Meighan Simmons helps Lady Vols to title, reports AP.
- Kentucky baseball enjoyed a record-setting series against Ball State, reports Justin Chartrand of the Kentucky Kernel. The Cats won 17-2 on Sunday.
- Jodie Meeks, the ex-UK star, scored a career-high 42 points in the Lakers win over the Thunder.
- Kentucky knows it is running out of time, writes Eric Lindsey of CoachCal.com.
Photo of UK coach Matthew Mitchell in SEC Women’s final by John Bazemore/AP