Florida remains on top of the league, unbeaten in SEC play, and now all 14 teams have at least one conference victory after Thursday night’s results.
Casey Prather made seven of eight shots and Florida’s defense stymied Mississippi State as the Gators won 62-51 in Starkville.
It wasn’t pretty. Florida made just eight of 19 free throws. But the host Bulldogs got to the line just six times and made one foul shot in losing for just the second time in 13 games at Humphrey Coliseum this season.
Patric Young added 12 points and eight rebounds for Florida, which will see heralded 6-foot-10 freshman Chris Walker, just cleared by the NCAA, make his debut next week against Missouri.
Meanwhile, Auburn got 32 points from Chris Denson while drop-kicking poor Alabama 77-55 at Auburn. It was the first conference win of the year for the Tigers after six straight losses.
K.T. Harrell added 23 points and 11 rebounds for the home team, which shot 49 percent and made 22 of 28 free throws. Auburn outscored Alabama 44-23 in the second half.
In SEC road play, Alabama has lost 66-58 at Georgia, 68-47 at Missouri and now by 22 points at Auburn.
SEC men’s basketball schedule for Saturday
- Kentucky at Missouri 1:00 PM CBS
- Georgia at Auburn 1:30 PM SEC TV
- South Carolina at Ole Miss 1:30 PM SEC TV
- Texas A&M at Florida 4:00 PM SEC TV
- Arkansas at LSU 5:00 PM ESPNU
- Mississippi St. at Vanderbilt 5:00 PM FSN
- Tennessee at Alabama 8:00 PM ESPN2
- UK women take another step back in loss at Georgia
- Herald-Leader photo gallery from 2013 Bluegrass Sports Awards
- Why Matt Elam is such a big get for Kentucky