SEC links for Saturday:
- As expected, Alabama hired Lane Kiffin to be its offensive coordinator, reports Michael Casagrande of the Birmingham News. Nick Saban didn’t just invite Kiffin to Tuscaloosa a couple of weeks ago to brainstorm. Doug Nussmeier got the message and took the OC job at Michigan. Enter Kiffin, who was 28-15 as Southern Cal’s head coach after going 7-6 in one season at Tennessee.
- Gregg Doyel of CBS Sports writes that Kiffin and Kyle Shanahan are much alike, daddy’s boys who keep failing forward. Only thing is Nick Saban doesn’t seem like the kind of coach who hires someone for an important position like offensive coordinator just because the candidate’s father was a good coach.
- James Franklin is headed to Penn State, but Vanderbilt can stay on the rise, writes Jeff Lockridge of the Tennessean. “Just how good is the Vandy job? The Commodores may be about to learn. It undoubtedly would be a lot more attractive this time around, thanks to Franklin and a new level of university commitment to a program that was previously a punch line.”
- Robbie Andreu of the Gainesville Sun reports that Florida forward Casey Prather will miss Saturday’s game at Arkansas with a bone bruise on his knee. Point guard Scottie Wilbekin is questionable with a sprained ankle. If Wilbekin plays, he will not start.
- Georgia picked up an emotional and unexpected win over Missouri on Wednesday, but what next for the basketball Bulldogs? Seth Emerson of the Macon Telegraph reports on Georgia playing host to Alabama at 4 p.m. on the SEC Network on Saturday.
- Missouri’s basketball players claim they have learned from last year’s road woes, reports Tod Palmer of the Kansas City Star. After losing to Georgia at home on Wednesday, the Tigers travel to Auburn on Saturday. Mizzou won its only true non-conference road game, rallying from a 10-point deficit to win at North Carolina State.
- After losing at home by 18 points to Tennessee, LSU is looking to bounce back at South Carolina. Randy Rosetta of the Times-Picayune writes that there has been plenty of intensity at the LSU practices since the Tuesday night loss.
Photo of Lane Kiffin by AP.