SEC links for Friday:
- All the reports have James Franklin taking the Penn State job, but Vanderbilt athletics boss David Williams claims the coach is undecided, so reports Jeff Lockridge of the Tennessean. David Jones of the Harrisonburg Patriot-News reports on what’s taking so long with Franklin’s deal.
- Auburn running back Tre Mason declares for the NFL draft, reports Ryan Black of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. Mason rushed for 195 yards on 34 carries in Auburn’s 34-31 loss to Florida State in the BCS title game. He also produced back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons.
- Alabama has interviewed Lane Kiffin for its opening offensive coordinator position. Nick Saban brought Kiffin to Tuscaloosa a couple of weeks ago to discuss ideas and the next thing you know, offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier has left the Tide to take the same job at Michigan.
- Even without Marshall Henderson, serving a suspension from last year’s actions, Ole Miss was able to hold off visiting Auburn 65-62. Ole Miss made 12 of 21 free throws and was outrebounded by 10, yet still prevailed.
- Florida guard Scottie Wilbekin did not practice and is questionable for Saturday’s game against Arkansas, reports Kevin Brockway of the Gainesville Sun. Wilbekin sprained his right ankle in the Gators’ win over South Carolina on Wednesday night. Teammate Casey Prather is suffering from knee swelling and is questionable for Saturday, as well.
- After the 68-50 loss to visiting Tennessee, LSU coach Johnny Jones says he will shake up the Tigers’ lineup, reports Matthew Harris of The Advocate. LSU had lost at home to Rhode Island before falling to the Volunteers.
Photo of James Franklin by AP