Big Blue Links for Tuesday:
– Louisville assistant football coach Clint Hurtt bashed Kentucky on his Facebook page, reports USA Today. He said that Kentucky doesn’t play in the SEC, it participates.
– Mark Story of the Herald-Leader gives seven reasons to be optimistic about UK football. “Currently, Kentucky’s 2014 recruiting class is ranked No. 9 in the country by Rivals.com,” says Mark. “Until letters-of-intent are signed, all recruiting pledges are fluid. Still, even after this season’s 2-10 slog, the UK coaching staff seems confident it will be able to hold its commitments.”
– John Calipari isn’t watching the scoreboard as much as he’s watching the quality of play, reports Jerry Tipton of the Herald-Leader. “I didn’t look up at the score probably the first 12 minutes of the game,” Calipari said, “because I can’t worry about winning and losing right now. I just have to worry about these guys playing the right way.”
– Kentucky is a work-in-progress, but we can see the progress being made, writes Rob Dauster of College Basketball Talk. “Kentucky knocked off a good Providence team in fairly impressive fashion on Sunday,” Dauster says, “and they did it despite the fact that Julius Randle had an off night and Andrew Harrison was largely relegated to the bench as he dealt with some foul trouble.”
– Kentucky’s women moved up to No. 5 in the new Associated Press poll. The Cats moved up two spots after beating arch-rival Louisville 69-64 on Sunday.
– Reaching the NCAA Tournament is still special for UK volleyball, reports Guy Ramsey of Cat Scratches. As the No. 15 seed, Kentucky will play at home on Friday.