SEC links for Sunday:
- Aaron Murray put away the can’t-win-the-big-game rap and Todd Gurley rushed for 132 yards as Georgia beat South Carolina 41-30. The win puts the Bulldogs in the early driver’s seat in the SEC East, though Mark Richt’s team has a tough one against visiting LSU on Sept. 28
- Miami upset Florida 21-16 by forcing five Gators turnovers. Florida outgained Miami 413-212 but lost the game. Turnovers will do that, as WKU found out.
- Western Kentucky lost 52-20 to Tennessee, but really what beat the Hilltoppers was the Hilltoppers. Bobby Petrion’s club during one stretch turned the ball over five times in six offensive plays.
- Gus Malzahn beat his former employer as Auburn whipped Arkansas State 38-9. Malzahn spent one year as head coach at Arkansas State before taking over at Auburn. Arkansas State was called for a flag on the game’s first play for “failure to wear contrasting colors.”
- LSU ripped poor UAB 56-17 as quarterback Zach Mettenberger threw for a school-record five touchdowns. Mettenberger ended up 16 of 19 for 282 yards through the air.
- After an early explosion, Ole Miss had to hold on to beat Southeast Missouri State 31-13. The Rebels rolled up 532 yards of total offense.
- Mississippi State routed Alcorn State 51-7 to bounce back from last week’s loss to Oklahoma State. Alcorn State did not record a first down in either the second or third quarters.
- Texas A&M beat Sam Houston State 65-28 as Johnny Manziel threw for 426 yards. Manziel completed 29 of 42 passes, three for touchdowns.
- Missouri beat Toledo 38-23 despite being outgained by the Rockets. Oft-injured Missouri quarterback James Franklin rushed 17 times for 77 yards and threw for 212 more.
- Vanderbilt rolled over Austin Peay 38-3 by scoring 35 points in the second quarter.
- Arkansas held on to beat Samford 31-21 in Little Rock. Samford led 21-17 in the third quarter.
This Saturday’s schedule
- Louisville at Kentucky 12:00 PM ESPN
- Arkansas at Southern Miss 12:21 PM SEC Network
- Tennessee at Oregon 3:30 PM ABC/ESPN/ESPN2
- Alabama at Texas A&M 3:30 PM CBS
- Mississippi St. at Auburn 7:00 PM ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU
- Kent State at LSU 7:00 PM ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU
- Vanderbilt at South Carolina 7:00 PM ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU
- Ole Miss at Texas 8:00 PM Longhorn Network