* John Adams of the Knoxville News-Sentinel believes that schools should be waiting in line to hire ex-Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl. John’s right, by the way.
* Alabama has turned its attention to its August 31 opener against Virginia Tech. Star receiver Amari Cooper (strained foot) and cornerback Deion Blue (hamstring) missed part of camp but should be ready for opener.
* Ole Miss believes a new routine will help keep running back Jeff Scott fresh. During camp, Scott’s carries were limited to about 12 per day.
* Speaking of running backs, Vanderbilt is trying to settle on one to replace Zac Stacy, he now of the NFL. One option is 5-foot-7 Jerron Seymour.
* Vanderbilt’s defense isn’t missing a beat under coordinator Bob Shoop. The Commodores were 19th nationally in total defense a year ago.
* Florida announced Friday that two starters will miss the team’s opener against Toledo. Sophomore tailback Matt Jones and senior offensive guard Jon Halapio are both out with injuries. Jones is slowly returning from a viral infection.
* LSU’s Odell Beckham, Jr. is drawing rave reviews at camp. The wide receiver/kick returner is “just a freak athlete,” says quarterback Zach Mettenberger.