* The BBN broke into a cold sweat last night when news broke that Emmanuel Mudiay, the Texas point guard some scouting services believe is the No. 1 prospect in the Class of 2014, said that he would announce his college choice tonight on ESPNU during the Elite 24 game. Mudiay has not yet visited UK, which leads many to believe he will stay close to home and play for Larry Brown at SMU. Brown and UK coach John Calpari are extremely close. The game is on ESPNU, by the way.
* I spent part of my Friday night debating on twitter that choosing Larry Brown is not a crazy choice. Not saying he’s a better choice than John Calipari, who has a pretty good track record getting point guards into the NBA, but Brown has accomplished a thing or two in his career.
* Jen Smith of the H-L reports on the notes out of UK’s football practice on Saturday. One is that wide receiver Rashad Cunningham is academically ineligible will not play this year. Cunningham will be able to practice with the team. The Cats aren’t exactly overflowing with receivers as it is.
* Jen also writes on Joe Mansour, who as a senior apparently will be UK’s field goal kicker for the first time. Mansour arrived on campus with plenty of press clippings, but was never able to win the starting job, until now.
* Guy Ramsey of Cat Scratches reports on the return of Za’Darius Smith. Smith’s return came just as Mark Stoops admitted he was started to be concerned if they would get the former junior college star back for the opener against WKU. If you missed Smith talking about his return, click here for the video.
* James Blackmon, Jr., who committed to Indiana and then decided to re-open his recruiting, will visit Indiana again this weekend. Blackmon is also expected to visit Kentucky, where his father was a star player for Joe B. Hall and Eddie Sutton.