SEC links for Wednesday:
- Wright Thompson of ESPN.com writes about the troubles of Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel. It starts with the infamous tweet and then “FOUR DAYS AFTER the tweet, Johnny Manziel did what many boys do when they’re in trouble. He went home. The farm roads and state highways between College Station and Tyler blurred under the wheels of his black Mercedes-Benz, the one he wanted so badly that his dad finally bought it for him.” At last check, the story had over 1,000 comments.
- Texas A&M is dealing with the loss of freshman Polo Manukainiu, who was killed in a car crash, reports David Harris of the College Station-Bryan Eagle. “Polo Manukainiu might have had the physique of an elite high school football player, but coaches and teachers remember the Euless Trinity grad for his big heart.”
- David Climer of the Tennessean writes that money talks louder for NCAA powers. “Based on the rhetoric coming out of the commissioners’ offices at power conferences, it seems to be a foregone conclusion that football players and men’s basketball players will go on the payroll within the next couple of years.”
- Robert Neyland had rules about what to do. Now Tennessee needs to follow departed defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri’s example concerning what not to do, writes John Adams of the Knoxville News-Sentinel. John gets in a knock at the Cats and Jalen Whitlow.
- Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel underwent an appendectomy on Tuesday, reports Robbie Andreu of the Gainesville Sun. Driskel should miss only a couple of weeks.
- Jadeveon Clowney is still learning, reports Darryl Slater of the Charleston Post and Courier. Deke Adams, the Gamecocks’ new defensive line coach, is in charge of teaching Carolina’s freakish defensive end.
- Mississippi State has sold out its season-ticket allotment for football, reports Michael Bonner of the Clarion-Ledger. That’s 43,300 tickets.
- Alabama has more holes in the secondary than anywhere else, writes Cliff Kirkpatrick of the Montgomery Advertiser. The Tide must replace big-play cornerback Dee Milliner.
Johnny Manziel photo by Dave Martin/AP
- SEC: Former Auburn coach in hot water over quote
- SEC football schedules for 2013
- Georgia basketball walk-on injured in bomb explosion
College football links