Big Blue Links for Wednesday:
- Rex Chapman talks to Mark Mathis of the Owensboro Messenger-Inquirer about one-and-dones. “I don’t want to mince words, but that is a bad rule. Most kids have no business doing it. Now, you’ve got Anthony Davis? Fine. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist? Fine. But you can’t tell me that Doron Lamb and Marquis Teague wouldn’t have enjoyed a better year last year, playing college basketball.”
- UK football target Blake Bone tells Phil Kornblut of The State that if he were to commit today, he’d probably pick South Carolina. But Bone isn’t ready to decide. Wide receivers coach Tommy Mainrod is on the case for the Cats.
- Former UK guard Brandon Knight has been traded from Detroit to Milwaukee as part of the Brandon Jennings sign-and-trade deal. Charles Gardiner of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel writes, “Also in the revamped Bucks backcourt are shooting guard Gary Neal, who signed his two-year deal Tuesday; and veteran point guard Luke Ridnour, who played two seasons in Milwaukee (2008-10) before playing the last three years with the Minnesota Timberwolves.”
- Eric Lindsey of CoachCal.com profiles UK basketball freshman Derek Willis. Of his original offer, Willis says, “I figured I got a scholarship offer from Kentucky so I better get on this train while I can because I know what’s going to be coming behind me.”
- SEC football attendance has declined over the past three years, but there is a but, says John Pennington of Mr. SEC. The league is still way up from where it was 15 years ago. John has a lot of good numbers and charts.
- Our Ben Roberts has a cool chart showing that Mark Stoops has passed Rich Brooks in corralling four-star recruits. That’s for all of Brooks’ tenure at Kentucky.
- And if you missed it from last night, former Calipari players will return to Rupp Arena on Sept. 9 for the second annual Charity Game. A 7 p.m. tip has been announced for the Monday night game.
Brandon Knight photo by Associated Press
- John Clay: Transfer would be big boost for Louisville
- Mark Story: Dallas Owens and the play that launched a 10-1 season
- Kentucky football gets commitment from four-star lineman
College basketball links:
- Jahlil Okafor has no timetable for decision, says father
- Andy Katz’s three-point shot says tourney will be tweaked
- Jeff Borzello looks at which prospects gained the most from summer ball