The Evening News for Thursday:
- UK’s video staff has dropped another profile of a new UK assistant football coach, or in this case support coach. It’s high-performance coach Erik Korem. It follows Neal Brown, Bradley Dale Peveto, Jimmy Brumbaugh, Derrick Ansley, Chad Scott, Tommy Mainord and John Schlarman.
- Program note: We will be liveblogging/livetweeting the NBA Draft here at 7:30 tonight.
- Matt May of the Cats Pause has news of another UK football visit.
— Matt May (@TCPMattMay) June 27, 2013
- ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reports that Kyle Wiltjer has visited Gonzaga.
- Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski tweets that the Cavs are choosing between Nerlens Noel and Alex Len. If Noel is not taken by Cleveland, he could slip to Phoenix at No. 5. Wojnarowski says Orlando will apparently take Victor Oladipo at No. 2.
- Matt Norlander of CBS Sports reports that Bill Raferty is leaving ESPN. That’s the bad news. The good news is that he will work with Gus Johnson at Fox Sports 1 doing Big East games. It’s a shame that the team of Sean McDonough, Jay Bilas and Raferty will be broken up. Thought it was the most consistently entertaining broadcast team in all of college basketball the past few years.
- ESPN ranks UK football’s non-conference schedule as the eighth-toughest in the 14-team SEC. Louisville will be a top 10 team, after all. And Western Kentucky will be a very tough game. Right now, I would pick the Hilltoppers.
- Steve Jones of the C-J tweets that Louisville has received another football commitment today, this time from Ohio defensive lineman Danny Burns. Sports 247 has Burns rated as a three-star prospect. Earlier, Louisville got a commitment from Florida defensive end Rashawn Shaw.
- Florida has picked up a basketball commitment from Jacksonville guard Brandone Francis, ranked No. 34 in the nation by ESPNU for 2014. Florida already had a commitment from Memphis guard Chris Chiozza, who is ranked 39th in the nation by Rivals.
- Rick Pitino’s new book — the guy is more prolific than Joyce Carol Oates — will come out October 1, according to the publisher. My friend Eric Crawford is the co-author. Pitino’s recent line that leaving UK was the best thing he ever did – because it led to his failure with the Boston Celtics, figures to be a large part of the tome.
- We were just talking about Rodney Hood and now the Duke Blue Devil has suffered an Achillies injury. It’s not known yet the extent of the injury.
- Adding a tweet from KSTV’s Thomas Beisner:
Chris Lofton and Darius Miller are kind of a big deal in Mason County. pic.twitter.com/uT2zH91QEl
— Thomas Beisner (@thomasbeisner) June 27, 2013