Evening news for Wednesday:
- The AJC looks at college football uniform changes for next year.
- Ben Roberts has the big news at Louisville where the Cards picked up a commitment from Evansville guard Jaquan Lyle, rated by Rivals as the 17th-best player in the Class of 2014. Lyle joins Quentin Snyder and Shaqquan Aaaron as U of L commitments, giving Rick Pitino three players in Rivals’ top 31 prospects.
Yes, it’s true. I’m going to be a cardinal, and attend the University of Louisville for college.… http://t.co/5XBRgzqoAy
— JaQuan Lyle (@JMamba5) June 26, 2013
JaQuan Lyle, who is No. 12 overall, is Louisville’s highest rated recruit since Samardo Samuels, who was No. 2 in his class.
— Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) June 26, 2013
- Both UK and U of L are recruiting Lyle’s AAU teammate Trey Lyles, ranked No. 4 nationally by Rivals.
- ESPN’s Andy Katz thinks John Calipari has handled the Kyle Wiltjer transfer situation just the right way. Wiltjer received his release today.
- Yahoo’s Jeff Eisenberg has five questions leading into Thursday night’s NBA Draft. He writes, “If reports are true that Cleveland has narrowed its options to Noel or Len, then Noel would be my pick. Yes, he’s coming off a torn ACL in his left knee. Yes, his offensive game lacks any semblance of polish. Yes, he needs to add strength to avoid being pushed off the block in the NBA. But Noel was an outstanding post defender and extraordinarily prolific shot-blocker in his two-thirds of a season at Kentucky, which is likely to translate to the NBA.”
- CBS’ Doug Gottlieb thinks Noel isn’t worthy of the top five. “He is young, he plays hard and John Calipari has been known to recruit talent and help mold it to an NBA style, but his injury could undercut his athleticism, to what extent no one truly knows,” Gottlieb writes. “I would love Noel in the middle of the first round, but he will be a reach in the top five.”
- Alex Len tells Zagsblog that he should be the No. 1 pick over Noel. But what did you expect him to say?
- Chris Mannix’s mock draft at SI.com has Noel at No. 1. “It’s looking more and more like Cleveland will keep the pick, and rival executives still expect Noel to be the guy. He’s a 7-foot defensive menace who will solidify the middle, either at power forward or center, and fortify a defense that ranked last in opponents’ field-goal percentage (47.6) in 2012-13.”
- Yahoo’s Pat Forde writes on Oregon’s Chip Kelly, another college coach who skated away just as his program was getting into trouble. “Oh, sure, the NCAA Committee on Infractions hit Kelly with an 18-month show-cause penalty for failing to monitor his Oregon football program. That basically translates to not keeping up with rules regarding what “recruiting service provider” Will Lyles was supposed to be providing, though to me it appears Kelly & Co. paid Lyles $25,000 to deliver running backs LaMichael James and Lache Seastrunk, then tried to cover it up. But maybe I’m just being cynical.”
- Jessi Greenberg has a good story on the Cat Scratches blog about how UK volleyball player Morgan Bergeren keeps the horse hobby in her family.
- Who says the bigger ballpark took all the fun out of the College World Series?
- The NCAA has reprimanded Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson.
- Follow John Clay on twitter
- UK basketball non-conference schedule
- Kentucky basketball transfers over last decade