Evening news for Friday:
- Former UK football player Champ Kelly held his CHAMP Camp today at Henry Clay High School. In the video above, he talks about the free camp, which continues today.
- Pat Dooley of the Gainesville Sun ranks the non-conference football schedules of the various SEC teams. He puts Kentucky’s slate at No. 8 out of 14 in terms of toughness. He does point out that Mark Stoops’ Cats will face last year’s Sugar Bowl teams, Louisville and Florida, in back-to-back games. “And both teams may be better than they were a year ago,” he says.
- Little behind on this one, but Bruce Feldman of CBS Sports says Louisville has the softest football schedule in the country. He writes, “No team in major college football has an easier overall schedule than the Cards. It’s doubtful they’ll face a top-40 team this season, much less one in the top 25. The non-conference slate is pretty tame as well.”
- Looks like Marquis Teague will be playing in the Las Vegas Summer League.
- Frank Martin will be entering his second year as the head coach at South Carolina, and the former Kansas State coach thinks he has more to work with for 2013-14. “We’re bigger, pure and simple. That’s the first thing you notice when we’re on the court. We wanted to be bigger. That is something that is important,” Martin told Willie Smith of Greenvilleonline.com.
- Wayne Turner shares the story of Tubby Smith’s hiring to KSTV.
- Tom Shatel of the Omaha World-Herald writes that it’s time to bring in the fences for the College World Series. The new, bigger ballpark coupled with the new less-potent aluminum bats have cut down on scoring. “The readers, the fans, have spoken this week,” Shatel writes. ” They want their moments. They saw an Oregon State walk-off homer fall to the warning track. They saw an Indiana kid crush a pitch and somehow downtown gravity kept it in the park. And these fans feel as robbed as the hitters.”
- Kate Upton slyly dissed Justin Verlander on twitter. I thought you should know.
- DeMarcus Cousins was hosting a camp in downtown Sacramento today.
— Jonathan Santiago (@itsjonsantiago) June 21, 2013
- Wes Rucker tweeted that he caught up with Chris Lofton recently.
Talked to Chris Lofton about rehabbing his back injury in Lexington. He said some people talked trashed to him, but it was all in good fun.
— Wes Rucker (@wesrucker247) June 21, 2013