The upcoming 2013-14 season will be the second straight year without a Kentucky-Indiana basketball game and IU coach Tom Crean admits that the Hoosiers have yet to find a home-and-home replacement for the Wildcats.
Inside the Hall’s Justin Albers reports that Crean told a group on IU’s Tailgate Tour on Tuesday that talks with Gonzaga about a home-and-home ended without a deal.
“There’s no question that losing Kentucky screwed us for the home-and-home situation,” Crean said. “But there’s things that could potentially be out there for the future that we can’t talk about publicly but we have to plan for privately. The last thing we wanna do is get caught in a situation where we’re trying to play too many non-conference road games.”
After Christian Watford’s three-point shot gave Indiana a 73-72 win over Kentucky on Dec. 10, 2011 in Bloomington the two sides could not come to an agreement about continuing the series, which had been played continuously since the 1969-70 season. UK coach John Calipari argued for neutral site games to be included in the series. Indiana wanted to stick with home-and-home games.
In fact, it was this time last year that Calipari reportedly told Crean, “Move on, it’s done” when IU tried to reach a compromise.
Kentucky beat IU 102-90 in the semifinals of the South Regional on March 23, 2012. That could be the last time these two teams play for awhile.