ATLANTA — Updates from first Final Four semifinal between Louisville and Wichita State. You can also follow my updates on twitter at @johnclayiv.
* FINAL – Louisville beats Wichita State 72-68. Here’s final box.
* 2H-031.6 – Louisville leading 68-66 and with ball. Russ Smith just two-of-eight at foul line. Luke Hancock has 19 points for Cards.
* 2H-3:50 – Louisville clinging to a 60-58 lead. Cards appear to be wearing Wichita State down. After not committing a turnover for over 26 minutes, the Shockers committed four in five possessions. Here’s box.
* 2H-7:37 – Wichita State has gone 25 minutes — last 13 of first half, first 12 of this half — without a turnover and leads Louisville 55-51. Henderson’s back-to-back triples have given Louisville life, but Cardinals have yet to get over the hump. Click here for box.
* 2H-11:45 – Here’s official box to this point.
* 2H-11:56 – Tim Henderson hits back-to-back threes to pull Louisville within 47-41.
* 2H-15:46 – Wichita State has done what it needed to in the first segment here of second half. The Shockers have extended lead to 38-31. Louisville not getting turnovers, so having a hard time in the half-court game. Here is box.
* Blackshear, Dieng and Behanan all failed to score in first half for Louisville. All three are starters.
* Big key will be first five minutes of second half. The longer Wichita State hangs around, the more confidence the Shockers will get.
* Wichita State did not have a turnover in the final 13 minutes of the first half. The Shockers had just four turnovers in the first half. They turned it over on just 14.4 percent of their possessions. Louisville turned it over on 25.7 percent.
* Goldencents, horse partially-owned by Rick Pitino, just won the Santa Anita Derby.
* Halftime – Wichita State leads Louisville 26-25. What sticks out to me is the points in the paint. Remember in the Oregon game, the Cards outscored the Ducks 20-2 early in the paint. Tonight, Wichita State outscored U of L 10-8 in the paint in the first half. Click here for the halftime box.
* 1H-3:05 — Wichita State is shooting just 30.8 percent but leads Louisville 20-10. Russ Smith has gotten it going a bit, hitting a couple of three-pointers. Louisville is 3-of-10 from behind the three-point line. Click here for box.
* 1H-7:09 — Louisville and Wichita State are tied 13-13. Another huge dome shooting game. As to say neither team is shooting well in this wide open space. Louisville shooting 35.7. Wichita State shooting 26.3. Click here for the box.
* 1H-11:47 – Louisville goes on an 11-2 run to take an 11-10 lead. Luke Hancock hit a three. Montrezl Harrell scored on a rebound basket inside. Most importantly, Louisville was able to get its press going and turn the Shockers over. Click here for box.
* 1H-15:56 – Wichita State jumps to early 8-0 lead. Bad sign for Louisville: Russ Smith, an 82 percent free throw shooter, misses his first four free throws. Shockers are up 6-2 in rebounds. So has the week of Kevin Ware worn the Cardinals out? We shall see. Here’s box.
* Kevin Ware walking to floor of Georgia Dome.
Kevin Ware walking to floor of Georgia Dome. telly.com/CHOG8D
— John Clay (@johnclayiv) April 6, 2013
* Tipoff is scheduled for 6:06 p.m.