USA Today is out with a story listing the salary figures for athletic directors at NCAA Division I schools.
Assuming the numbers are correct, Kentucky's Mitch Barnhart ranks eighth among SEC athletic directors in compensation.
- 1. Florida-Jermy Foley $1,233,250
- 2. Arkansas-Jeff Long $903,900
- 3. Tennessee-Dave Hart, Jr. $817,250
- 4. Texas A&M-Eric Hyman $800,000
- 5. LSU-Joe Alleva $725,000
- 6. South Carolina-Ray Tanner $675,000
- 7. Missouri-Mike Alden $674,317
- 8. Kentucky-Mitch Barnhart $654,0000
- 9. Auburn-Jay Jacobs $615,000
- 10. Alabama-Mal Moore $600,500
- 11. Georgia-Greg McGarity $525,000
- 12. Mississippi State-Scott Stricklin $450,000
- 13. Ole Miss-Ross Bjork $400,000
One interesting note is Dave Hart, Jr.'s salary at Tennessee, which has undergone layoffs because of the athletic department's financial problems. On the flip side, thought Alabama's Mal Moore would be making more, but then the real money in Tuscaloosa goes to Nick Saban.
FYI: As a private institution, Vanderbilt is not required to make its payroll figures public.