Five silver linings from Kentucky’s loss last weekend.
1. Willie Cauley-Stein produced his third double-double of the season and his first in SEC play. Cauley-Stein had 13 points and 10 rebounds. He’s had double-figure rebounds in two of his past three games. He also has blocked 17 shots in his past four games.
2. Jon Hood had four rebounds in just nine minutes last Saturday. This continues a trend. The junior had three rebounds in 16 minutes against Mississippi State. Before that, he had three rebounds in 15 minutes at Tennessee. If you go back to UK’s win at Ole Miss on January 29, Hood had three rebounds in eight minutes that night.
3. Jarrod Polson has now played 20 or more minutes in three of UK’s last five games. He is averaging 5.9 points over his past five games and has scored 15 points in the last two games. He had four rebounds against Mississippi State and somehow was credited with just one rebound at Arkansas. It seemed that he grabbed at least a couple.
4. Archie Goodwin survived the verbal arrows in his home state to make five of eight shots from the field Saturday and score 14 points. The taunting might have affected Goodwin more at the foul line, where he missed five of nine attempts. But overall, the freshman had a decent game under the circumstances.
5. Arkansas shot just 34.8 percent from the floor, the second straight timeUK has held an opponent under 35 percent. Mississippi State shot 32.1 percent. Here are foes’ shooting percentages since Nerlens Noel was lost for the season: Tennessee 58.0, Vanderbilt 44.2, Missouri 43.4, Mississippi State 32.1, Arkansas 34.8.