With Missouri coming to Rupp on Saturday, five takeaways from the Tigers’ win over Florida last night.
1. Lawrence Bowers makes a difference. Bowers missed Missouri’s first game with Florida, an 83-52 loss in Gainesville. Bowers played last night and recorded a double-double, scoring 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.
2. Missouri remains tough at home. The Tigers have won 16 straight at home and the Tigers are 7-0 at home in the SEC. Luckily, for Kentucky, Missouri is 1-5 on the road in the conference. And Missouri plays at Kentucky on Saturday.
3. Phil Pressey is a different player. The Missouri point guard can make some crazy plays that seem to hurt his team. But he can also make great plays. He had 10 assists, six rebounds, seven points and three steals against the Gators. “The guy I was really impressed with was Pressey, because I thought he was, at our place, crazy,” Florida coach Billy Donovan said. “I really thought he did a terrific job of running his team.”
4. Missouri doesn’t always need a big game for Alex Oriakhi. The transfer from UConn had a string of three straight double-digit rebound games. He had led Missouri in rebounding five straight games. Last night, Oriakhi got all of four rebounds, just one on the offensive end. And Missouri battered Florida on the boards 40-28.
5. Missouri is now 33rd in the RPI after the win. Kentucky is 46th heading into tonight’s game with Vanderbilt.