SEC basketball took another body blow Sunday night when Tennessee announced that injured forward Jeronne Maymon would in fact not return this season. Instead, Maymon will redshirt this year and return in 2013-14 for a fifth season.
“It’s really tough to know that I can’t be on the court with my teammates this season,” Maymon said a release issued by the school. “But I have confidence in them, just like I have confidence in these coaches and our medical staff. I know this is in my best interest, and I am going to work incredibly hard to come back as an even better player and teammate next season. I love Tennessee.
“I believe everything happens for a reason, and I see this injury as a blessing in disguise. God does not make mistakes.”
Maymon had yet to return to practice much less games after undergoing surgery on his knee March 20 to repair a torn meniscus. The transfer from Marquette was a pre-season All-SEC selection averaging 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds for the Vols last season. He was expected to form a formidable 1-2 inside punch with Jarnell Stokes.
Tennessee is 8-4 after an 85-80 loss to visiting Memphis on Friday night. On the positive side, the Vols are the only team to beat Wichita State this season. On the negative side, Cuonzo Martin’s team has had trouble putting the ball in the basket during some games, scoring 36 against Georgetown, 38 against Virginia and 45 against Oklahoma State.
The Vols open SEC play on Wednesday by hosting Ole Miss.
Here is the SEC basketball schedule for this week:
- Alabama at Missouri 7:00 PM ESPN
- Georgia at Florida 7:00 PM CSS
- Ole Miss at Tennessee 8:00 PM SEC Network
- South Carolina at Mississippi St. 8:00 PM
- Arkansas at Texas A&M 9:00 PM ESPNU
- LSU at Auburn 9:00 PM CSS
- Kentucky at Vanderbilt 9:00 PM ESPN
- Tennessee at Alabama 1:00 PM ESPN2
- Auburn at South Carolina 1:30 PM SEC Network
- Mississippi St. at Georgia 1:30 PM SEC Network
- Texas A&M at Kentucky 4:00 PM SEC Network
- Florida at LSU 4:00 PM ESPNU
- Vanderbilt at Arkansas 6:00 PM FSN
- Missouri at Ole Miss 8:00 PM FSN