Here at the KFC Yum Center for Kentucky-Louisville basketball, which starts at 4 p.m. Feel free to leave comments or questions. Or you can follow/ask me on twitter @johnclayiv.
Final: Louisville 80, Kentucky 77
– Louisville 75-70 with 1:40 left. Kentucky is 10-of-22 at foul line. That doesn’t include two that Cauley-Stein missed that were erased by lane violations.
– Louisville up 69-64 with 3:24 left. If Kentucky hits its free throws the Cats are right there. But Kentucky has made just 10 of 20 this game as Cauley missed two. He got another chance from a Louisville lane violation, then missed that one. Dieng, Smith and Siva all have four fouls for Louisville.
– Louisville 63-59 with 6:16 left. Fouls have taken away some of U of L’s aggressiveness on defense. Siva coming back in. He and Smith with 4. Cauley-Stein has played well here in the second half for Kentucky. Goodwin is starting to come alive. Dieng has 4 fouls for Louisville, as well. He’s coming back in at this TV timeout as well.
– Kentucky cuts lead to 61-55 – Louisville’s 2 starting guards both have 4 fouls. Pitino calls time. There’s 7:53 left. Siva and Russ Smith both have four fouls. Momentum with UK.
– Kentucky went on a 10-0 run to cut lead to 51-44, but Louisville’s Russ Smith scores on a drive to push the U of L advantage back to 53-44 with 11:58 left. Kentucky would be closer it if it could hit its free throws. Cats are 5-of-12 on the game.
– Wiltjer hits back-to-back 3s and Pitino calls time. Louisville up 51-40 at 13:53 mark.
– Louisville extends lead to 48-34 with 15:39 left. Kentucky committed four turnovers in first 2:20 of second half. Calipari also got a technical foul.
– Halftime: Louisville 36, Kentucky 28
– Louisville up 30-25 with 2:39 left in first half. Louisville can’t get much out of its halfcourt offense but the Cards have taken advantage of UK’s sloppiness. Poythress just telegraphed a cross-court pass that Chane Behanan intercepted at mid-court and reverse jammed.
– Louisville run now 10-0 for a 22-18 lead at 6:43.
– Through first 11 minutes, Kentucky committed just one turnover. Louisville forcing an average of 21 per game. Then, just like that, Cats commit three turnovers in a row. Louisville now up 20-18 at 7:06 mark of first half.
– Kentucky leads 18-16 at 9:08 mark. Cats went on an 8-0 run to take an 18-12 lead. Louisville scored back-to-back baskets to cut the lead to two points. Kentucky has made seven of 17 shots. Louisville has made eight of 20.
– Kentucky started Willie Cauley-Stein in place of Alex Poythress and John Calipari’s choice seemed to work well early. Kentucky jumped to 7-4 lead. But Louisville has scored back-to-back buckets for an 8-7 lead at the 15:21 mark. Russ Smith earlier missed a wide-open fast break jam or Louisville would have a bigger lead.
– Dieng not starting. Zach Price starting for Cards.
– Gorgui Dieng does have a reddish wrap around his left wrist warming up.
– Gorgui Dieng’s parents are here at the Yum Center. Today will be the first time the natives of Senegal have had the opportunity to see him play basketball in college.
– This will be the first time UK has worn blue uniforms this season.
– Officials today are Doug Shows, John Cahill and Ed Corbett.
– CBS is telecasting the game with Tim Brando handling play-by-play and Clark Kellogg and Greg Anthony providing the color.