I was at KFC Yum Center in Louisville last night for the Cards’ 79-55 win over Florida International. Here are some notes on the fifth-ranked Cards, who host Kentucky on Dec. 29.
– Florida International’s 14 turnovers tied Duke for season-low by a U of L opponent.
– Florida International turned it over on 21 percent of its possessions. Duke turned it over on 19 percent of possessions.
– Louisville tied a season high with 12 three-pointers. The Cards had 32 attempts. They made 12 of 26 against Miami of Ohio on Nov. 18.
– Louisville had a season-high 23 assists. The previous high was 22 against Miami of Ohio.
– Peyton Siva had a career-high 12 assists. It was his third double-digit assist game of the season. He had 10 each against Manhattan and Miami of Ohio.
– Louisville missed its first five free throws and made just five of 11.
– Chane Behanan record his second double-double of the season with 18 points and 11 rebounds. Behanan had 12 points and 18 rebounds against Samford on Nov. 15.
– Wayne Blackshear matched his season-high with four three-pointers. The sophomore was four-of-eight from three after going four-of-seven from three against Miami of Ohio.
– Russ Smith made just two of nine three-pointers.
– Rick Pitino said he doesn’t think Gorgui Dieng will be back for the Kentucky game on Dec. 29. Instead, the center hopes to return for the Cards’ Big East opener. Dieng has been out nearly four weeks with a broken wrist.
– Louisville plays Western Kentucky on Saturday in Nashville. That game is at 8:30 p.m. on ESPNU.
– Here is Rick Pitino’s post-game press conference: