Tim Couch thinks Neal Brown would be interested in UK

Heard Tim Couch this morning on the Leach Report, where the former UK quarterback, who was a big part of the process that brought Mark Stoops to Lexington, had a couple of interesting things to say.

Do you think Texas Tech offensive coordinator Neal Brown would be interested in coming to UK?

“I really think he would. I think if Neal’s going to be a candidate that’s someone that Coach Stoops would like to talk to. Neal being a Kentucky kid, a former teammate of mine, a wide receiver here back in the Hal Mumme days, I’m sure he would be interested in coming back home. He’s done a great job at Texas Tech. He has the No. 2 pass offense in the country right now and he’s one of the young hot coordinator names in the country right now. He really does a nice job. He has a nice feel for calling plays and he has that Mike Leach and Hal Mumme system behind him. I think he would definitely be interested if Coach Stoops is interested in talking to him.”

My note: I’m hearing that Stoops does want to talk to Neal Brown and that will happen very soon.

What impressed you about Coach Stoops’ plan?

“I think he has a nice recruiting plan, No. 1. His ties to Northeast Ohio, I think that’s an area, him being from Youngstown, that’s an area we need to hit harder, we can hit harder. Get some of those guys that want to play in the SEC. I really like that aspect. And also his ties to Florida. He’s been at Florida State for a few years and certainly has strong ties to that area, certainly which would help us, as well.”

This entry was posted in UK football and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments

1. Herb Elliott says:

Are we allowing Couch to run Football operations now? This is building into a mistake. This is Mark Stoops program now. Leave it that way. He is a big boy and he doesn’t need a former failure of an NFL quarterback trying to tell him what to do.

I don’t think Mark Stoops is going to hire anyone he doesn’t want to hire. This fits a pattern. When Bob Stoops got the head coaching job at Oklahoma, he hired Mike Leach off the Kentucky staff to be his offensive coordinator. When Mike Stoops was the head coach at Arizona, he hired Sonny Dykes, who was on Hal Mumme’s staff at UK with Leach, to be his offensive coordinator. Neal Brown was a wide receiver at UK under Leach and Mumme and coached with Leach at Texas Tech.

3. operationruse says:

John,

What are your thoughts on the air raid offense versus the pro-style? I have heard some people criticize the ar because they say we will not be able to score against the big boys when we get into the red zone and things get compressed. I think we need to do something different to level the playing field, but I am not sure the air raid is the answer.

Texas A&M uses a variation of the Air Raid and did ok against Big Boy Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

5. DStreet says:

Brown never coached with Leach at Tech. He was hired by Tuberville as OC when Tuberville replaced the fired Leach.

You are correct. I thought Mike Leach had brought him on board before he was fired, but that wasn’t the case. Thanks.