Some post-lunch notes:
- Ryan Harrow will not play tonight against Morehead State or Friday against LIU-Brooklyn, UK coach John Calipari said today via twitter. He has returned home with his mother to tend to a family issue. The mystery thickens, and you have to wonder what’s really going on here.
- As you may know, former UK defensive back Winston Guy was suspended for four games by the NFL for using an illegal substance. As the Seattle Times points out, there is a key distinction here, however. The suspension is for PEDS, not recreational drugs.
- David Cutcliffe is off the open market. The Duke coach has signed a contract extension.
- Looks like Michigan State’s star freshman guard Gary Harris is going to miss at least two weeks with a shoulder injury. I was very impressed with the former Indiana high school star when the Spartans rallied to beat Kansas in the Champions Classic last week in Atlanta.
- Darrell Griffith is now a high school AD.
- Interesting day in Cincinnati on Sunday as Carson Palmer makes his first visit to his former home as a member of the Oakland Raiders. Palmer quit on the Bengals two years ago, saying he would rather retire than play for Mike Brown’s team another year. Cincinnati held firm, then traded him to Oakland in what was a good deal for Cincinnati. With Andy Dalton at quarterback, the Bengals reached the playoffs last year and have climbed back to 5-5 this season. The Raiders have lost three straight and are 3-7.
- Nice wins last night for Kansas over Saint Louis in the CBE Classic final in Kansas City and Indiana’s overtime win over Georgetown in the Legends Classic in Brooklyn. Georgetown was impressive in defeat.
- Looks like the Music City Bowl may have to punt an ACC team.