On the eve of Tuesday’s UK-Duke matchup in Atlanta, here are 10 notes from Duke’s 74-55 over Georgia State on Friday.
1. Mason Plumlee, the 6-foot-11 senior forward, led the Blue Devils with 19 points and 14 rebounds.
2. Tyler Thornton started over Quinn Cook at point guard and impressed Mike Krzyzewski. “Thornton was excellent,” said the coach.
3. Quinn Cook came off the bench and played 21 minutes. Coach K said he went with Thornton over Cook for defensive purposes.
4. After making just one of 17 three-point attempts against Winston-Salem State, Duke was 11-of-24 against Georgia State, including an 8-of-17 showing in the second half.
5. After missing almost two months of workouts with a right shin injury, Seth Curry did start Friday. He played 30 minutes, making five of his 10 shots, including three threes.
6. After starting Duke’s two exhibition games, Alex Murphy did not play against Georgia State. Murphy is a 6-8 redshirt freshman.
7. Remember Amile Jefferson, the Philadelphia product who flirted with Kentucky during a prolonged recruitment? He played 13 minutes for the Blue Devils on Friday, scoring five points.
8. Senior forward Ryan Kelly played 33 minutes and committed just one turnover.
9. While Maryland pounded Kentucky on the offensive glass Friday night in Brooklyn, Duke had problems in that area. The Blue Devils grabbed just five of 36 offensive-rebound opportunities.
10. Freshman guard Rasheed Sulaimon of Houston started and played 30 minutes for the Devils, scoring six points. He was ranked as the 18th best prospect in the Class of 2012 by Rivals.