So they’re blowing up on twitter about Arkansas hiring John L. Smith as interim coach to feel the void left by the firing of Bobby Petrino.
But here’s five reasons it’s a smart move:
- Petrino was an assistant under John L. at Louisville; Smith will keep his offensive system.
- Before just leaving three months ago to coach his alma mater at Weber State, Smith was an assistant on Petrino’s staff at Arkansas, so he knows the personnel. And personnel knows him.
- Smith has also worked with the Arkansas assistants, so he knows the staff.
- Smith has head coaching experience, both at Louisville and Michigan State.
- After being fired at Michigan State, Smith would no doubt love another chance to prove he can be a head coach at a BCS school. He’s got 10 months to show he can.