Billy Donovan was not happy with the officiating

In the Florida post-game press conference after Florida’s 74-71 loss to Kentucky, Billy Donovan was not happy with the fact his Gators shot just two free throws.

Q: Could you speak about your interior defense, Murphy seemed like he was pretty active down there for there were a lot of offensive rebounds?

COACH DONOVAN: I thought our guys battled and fought as hard as they could. They did a good job. Again, I don’t understand how in a game like that we get to the free throw line two times. I thought our guys were battling in there and I thought their guys were battling. I thought it got to a point in the second half where it was kind of like just everybody was taking each other down because no one wanted to give up anything easy. But when you see from our bench in the second half, Patric Young getting pushed in the back constantly, constantly, constantly, and there’s just no whistle.

I mean, to me, it’s really hard to overcome 20 free throws to 2. There’s no way in the game like that. I could see if Kentucky was playing two-three zone and didn’t touch anybody, and but we were fouling them. I’m not saying that we didn’t foul them. There was times we fouled them. I thought Murphy, when Jones drove, we fouled him. I’m not saying that. But I mean, we got to the free throw line two times? I mean, we just had a hard time overcoming that. But I thought our guys battled as physically as best they could up front.

Q: Did you see fouls out there?

COACH DONOVAN: Yeah. Patric Young’s going up on offensive rebound and he’s being pushed in the back. And we’re doing the same thing to them. I’m not saying that we’re not doing it. We’re doing the same thing. It’s just I’ll deal with the office on it. It’s probably the best way to put it. And I’ll have a lot to say, too. And when I say that, it had nothing to do with us losing the game, so I don’t want to take anything away from Kentucky. They deserve the game. They won the game.

Click here for the entire Florida press conference.

This entry was posted in SEC, UK basketball and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments

1. Gary says:

What kind of cheese do they serve in New Orleans with Billy whine?

2. Charles says:

hope you like getting fined, crybaby

3. John Ellis says:

You get fouls by driving on offense and drawing them. Florida’s offense is soft, built on three point shooting. Florida got called for fouls when UK drove or they tried to steal the ball. Calipari has this team NOT going for steals to keep fouls at an absolute minimum. Billy the Kid needs to man up.

4. jaques says:

are u people serious??? 2 free throws for fla and 8 fouls on UK. i am really beginning to believe that Cal is paying somebody for calls.

5. badlld says:

Lets see Florida hip checked on every screen, hacked and reached in constantly, and push and shoved around the basket at both ends of the floor. The officials had no choice but to call those fouls or it would have no doubt been one of the biggest scandals in the history of the tourney. I think the officials were very kind to Florida and did’t call nearly as many fouls as they should have. GO CATS!

6. Kypryd says:

Jacques, did you even watch the game or are you simply throwing out a stat? If you want to argue Florida only shot 2 free throws then I would argue UK should have shot at least 40 with all the fouling they did in the paint. Bottomline there isn’t a better team that UK right now in the country and UK is great because they can make the adjustments during the game to anything that is thrown at them.

7. fanofthegame says:

During halftime a group discussed the game and were talking about KY getting pushed around with no calls and FL looked more like a LSU team than a FL team, rough and run. I expect the issue is Fl coach picked the play of the game, based on KY being less physical, and perhaps his coaching lost the game, not the refs. Is there a Donovan/Pitino thing against KY. as the rumors say? Donovan wants to come to KY. Pitino talks Donovan against coming to KY.Pitino/Donovan both had after game issues when defeated? The both reacted differently than the Vandy coach after his defeat by KY? The radio broadcast sure didnt agree with Billy either. Sad state of affairs for Billy and Rick to act as they have.

8. Cat Fan In NC says:

The reason they only shoot 2 foul shots is there offense is just jacking up 3 pointers. Drive to the basket like we do and you will get fouled.

9. Han says:

Billy the Kid, talk to us when your post men get pushed half as much as Davis does, or even MKG. When our guys go sprawling out of bounds, it’s not them falling down on their own. (It’s been bad for the Cats all year – UK also gets called charge on every drive to the basket.)

We play a driving offense, and as such, get fouled a lot. We’re also more athletic/faster than most teams, so we can fouled on the blow-by. Florida, on the other hand, mainly shoots the 3. We try not to foul jumpshooters. As for any fouls inside, Davis and Jones are amazing at blocking without contact, and MKG has really quick hands to swipe balls. It’s not fouling – we’re just better.

10. Katbluefan says:

When you get your butt kicked every year by the Cats as Billy Boy and his Daddy Pitino has since Cal has been at KY then you CRY about anything you can to cover up your defeats that the Big Blue has put on both programs. It’s not only the defeats but the top name recruits that turn down Florida and L’ville for KY that P-off both programs. Last year Knight comes out of Florida for KY and you know that really hurt Billy. Pitino has been at L’ville this long and the Card fans knew he would have by now hung at least two banners BUT ZERO banners plus one BIG Table Affair. What else needs to be said