It’s up to Alabama now. LSU and Tennessee held serve, posting Wednesday night wins to improve to 7-6 in the league. LSU beat visiting Georgia. Tennessee beat visiting Ole Miss. Now Alabama must find a way to win at Arkansas tonight to pull back into a three-way tie for fourth place in the SEC men’s basketball standings behind Kentucky (13-0), Florida (10-3) and Vanderbilt (9-4).
Vandy picked up its ninth win by beating visting South Carolina. The Commodores made 25 of 28 free throws, with Festus Ezeli (eight-for-eight) and John Jenkins (six-for-six) combining to go a perfect 14-of-14 from the foul line. Kevin Stallings’ club overcame a night in which it uncharacteristically made just four of 16 three-point shots. Vandy comes to Lexington on Saturday to play UK at noon on CBS.
SEC links for Thursday:
- Foul shots save Vandy 59-48, reports Jeff Lockridge of Tennessean.
- Ole Miss stumbles at Tennessee 73-60, reports Hugh Kellenberger of C-L.
- LSU hangs tough to beat Georgia 61-53, reports Scott Hotard of The Advocate.
- Vandy will look into tampering complaint, reports Lockridge of Tennessean.
- Five Vols hit double figures, reports Mike Griffith of the KNS.
- Little-used Miller stars for Tennessee, writes Mike Strange of the KNS.
- UT rallies from slow start, writes Patrick Brown of Free Press.
- Most of SEC supports multi-year scholarships, reports Joel Erickson of L-E.
- Only Auburn supports multi-year scholarships, reports Jon Solomon of B-News.
- Steele puts positive spin on Bama’s problems, writes Cecil Hurt of T-News.
- Arkansas prepares for different Tide, says Michael Casagrande of Advertiser.
- State’s Hood has deep bone bruise, reports Brad Locke of the Daily Journal.
- MSU coach doesn’t think retirement is distraction, reports Brandon Marcello of C-L.
- Georgia puts Commings on probation, reports Chip Towers of AJC.
- SEC could change schedule, writes Harry King of Arkansas News.
SEC basketball results
- Tuesday: Kentucky 73, Mississippi St. 64
- Tuesday: Florida 63, Auburn 47
- Wednesday: LSU 61, Georgia 53
- Wednesday: Vanderbilt 59, South Carolina 48
- Wednesday: Tennessee 73, Ole Miss 60
SEC basketball Thursday schedule
- Alabama at Arkansas 7:00 PM ESPN2
- Vanderbilt at Kentucky 12:00 PM CBS
- LSU at Ole Miss 1:30 PM SEC Network
- Arkansas at Auburn 4:00 PM SEC Network
- Florida at Georgia 4:00 PM SEC Network
- Mississippi St. at Alabama 6:00 PM ESPN
- Tennessee at South Carolina 8:00 PM FS South
SEC basketball standings
- Kentucky 13 – 0
- Florida 10 – 3
- Vanderbilt 9 – 4
- LSU 7 – 6
- Tennessee 7 – 6
- Alabama 6 – 6
- Mississippi St. 6 – 7
- Arkansas 5 – 7
- Ole Miss 5 – 8
- Auburn 4 – 9
- Georgia 3 – 10
- South Carolina 2 – 11