Thayer Evans may have his doubts about this Kentucky basketball team, but Shane Ryan of Bill Simmons’ Grantland and Luke Winn, SI.com’s college basketball numbers expert, are both bullish on the Cats. After all, John Calipari’s club is 27-1 and 13-0 in the SEC as we wind down to the final week of the regular season. Selection Sunday is two weeks from this Sunday.
This must be one strange morning because not only am I linking to KSR, I’m actually promoting one of its posts.A reader did some research on what has happened to the players Billy Gillispie was going to bring to Lexington. As laid out in black-and-white it’s a frightening look at what might have happened to Kentucky basketball, as compared to what is actually happening now.
OK, I think I’ve italicized enough words for one morning. On to the links.
Big Blue Links for Thursday:
- Terrible truth about Kentucky, says Shane Ryan of Grantland.
- Where Billy G’s guys are now, by KSR.
- Willingness to play together serves UK well, says my column.
- A 14-year-old 7-footer has heard from UK, reports Jody Demling of C-J.
- UK among eight that could cut down nets, says Luke Winn of SI.com.
- Miller sparks UK’s will to win, writes Jerry Tipton of H-L.
- Detours led UK Hoops’ senior trio, writes Jennifer Smith of H-L.
- Applaud UK’s offense, too, says Rick Bozich of Courier-Journal.
- Cats again show their will to win, reports Kyle Tucker of C-J.
- Audio of Rick Stansbury’s comments on Beckham, from Tucker.
- Calipari hits the recruiting trail again, reports Nation of Blue.
- UK honors seniors tonight, reports Les Johns of Kernel.
- Senior Night another step, writes Guy Ramsey of Cat Scratches.
- These Cats are mentally tough, says Ken Howlett of A Sea of Blue.
- Cal needs help in Charity Callenge, reports Eric Lindsey of CoachCal.
SEC women’s basketball schedule tonight
- Arkansas at Tennessee 7:00 PM FS South
- Ole Miss at Georgia 7:00 PM
- Mississippi St. at Florida 7:00 PM
- South Carolina at Kentucky 7:00 PM
- Alabama at Auburn 9:00 PM CSS
- Vanderbilt at LSU 9:00 PM FS South
SEC women’s basketball standings
- Tennessee 11 – 3
- Kentucky 11 – 3
- Georgia 9 – 5
- LSU 9 – 5
- Arkansas 9 – 5
- South Carolina 9 – 5
- Vanderbilt 8 – 6
- Florida 7 – 7
- Mississippi St. 4 – 10
- Auburn 3 – 11
- Ole Miss 2 – 12
- Alabama 2 – 12
Links of interest: