John Calipari’s visit to Richmond for a fund-raiser on Wednesday saw the coach not only avoid the 500 wins controversy — “I’m 0-0,” he said — but also rib the Duke Blue Devils.
When asked about the possibility of a Coach Cal-Coach K matchup in the future, Calipari said, “They will not play us.”
The Duke Basketball Report issued a retort: “Here’s a reasonable guess: given the venom that still comes out of Lexington, nearly 20 years after The Shot, why would anyone from Duke wish to play there? It’s an unhealthy atmosphere which comes from the inability of Kentucky fans to deal with reality.”
UPDATE: Alert twitter follower points out that UK will play Duke on Nov. 13, 2012 in the Champions Classic at Georgia Dome. But think Cal was talking about a home-and-home series with the Dookies.
Program note: Kentucky is making certain basketball players available to the media this afternoon at 2:30 p.m. (We don’t know which ones.) Check the blog later today for video, details, etc.
Click on the continue line for today’s Big Blue Links.
- Calipari tells Richmond crowd that Duke won’t play Kentucky, reports Nathan Hutchinson of the Richmond Register.
- Duke Basketball Report takes issue with Calipari’s statement about the Blue Devils.
- Jenny Hansen is trying an unprecedented gymnastics comeback, reports Eric Lindsey of Cat Scratches.
- Dwane Casey says his NCAA title at Kentucky in 1978 was more exciting, reports Jerry Tipton of the H-L.
- Georgia coach sent an impermissible text to a UK target, reports the AJC. (h/t All Ky Hoops)
- UK finds one popular voice in support of its stand on 500 wins, says the lead to my Thursday random notes column.
- UK football commit says basketball signee Marquis Teague will be a star at Kentucky, writes Larry Vaught of the Danville Advocate-Messenger.
- Brandon Knight will have a private workout with the Utah Jazz today, reports Jody Genessy of the Desert News.
- Kentucky needs to fess up about honoring Calipari way too soon, writes the blog Card Game.