– Here we go again. Peter Vecsey of the New York Post claims that the New York Knicks are interested in John Calipari as coach and GM. I thought Cal was going to take his talents to South Beach and try and keep LeBron’s mom out of trouble. Or maybe he was succeeding the retiring Phil Jackson with the Lakers. Or . . .
– Alabama prep star and Kentucky target Trevor Lacey says reports that he’s down to Kentucky and Alabama and will announce soon are incorrect. Kansas is visiting the scoring machine today.
– Larry Vaught of the Danville Advocate-Messenger writes on the versatility of Kyle Wiltjer. The Kentucky signee is playing in this weekend’s Nike Hoops Summit on Saturday. Fox Sports South is scheduled to show the game, starting at 11 p.m. Michael Gilchrist and Marquis Teague are also playing in the game. Click here for the rosters.
– Meanwhile, could Duke be getting DeAndre Daniels?
– Kentucky’s current players will take their time before making a decision on next year, writes Jerry Tipton of the Herald-Leader. Doron Lamb’s father tells Jerry he thinks it would be good for his son to have one more year of college basketball. Terrence Jones’ aunt says that the family is in the process of figuring out what is best for Terrence. And Brandon Knight’s family said a decision will be made sometime in the next two weeks.
– Mark Story of the H-L writes that freshmen did come through for Cal this year. Only he means Connecticut’s Jim Calhoun.
– I guess it had to happen sometime. The Reds lost 3-2 yesterday to Houston. They take to the road for the first time tonight, opening a three-game series in Arizona.
– Has John Calipari ever coached a future NBA MVP? I think Derrick Rose may have wrapped up the honor last night, scoring 30 points in Chicago’s 97-81 whipping of Boston.
– Over at spring football practice, Brett Dawson of the Courier-Journal writes on backup quarterback Maxwell Smith. The California native is not all that crazy about the winds here in Kentucky.
– Bleed Blue Kentucky likes linebacker Avery Williamson.
– Nick Craddock of the Kernel thinks the basketball Cats should have won it all.
– Armchair Quarterback has 10 final thoughts on the basketball season.
– Big news around the SEC is another Stephen Garcia suspension at South Carolina. Joe Henderson of the Tampa Tribune writes that the quarterback may have run out of excuses.
– Also in the SEC, Trent Johnson is losing players at LSU. Or maybe it’s addition by subtraction.